In response to the need for a retreat facility for Tibetan Buddhist nuns, as well as for laywomen, we are very happy to announce that the Samten Tsel Retreat Center at Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute has become available as of September 15, 2019.
Set in a peaceful, securely walled garden, the purpose-built retreat huts are made out of local natural materials such as river stones and mud plaster. The roofs are made with slate to adjust to the local climate. Each hut has a small kitchen and a simple attached bathroom. The furniture is basic but very adequate.
There are 8 single retreat huts: 5 reserved for nuns and 3 for laywomen wishing to do a retreat of 1 to 3 months. We request that only serious practitioners inquire, meaning you have a clear and structured plan for your personal retreat, which would typically include instruction from a teacher.
Here is further information about the huts and a few basic rules about your stay:
The Retreat Huts:
- Are available on a first come first served basis
- They are not equipped with heat, AC, fans or hot water
- Restricted use of electricity
- There is no wi-fi available
- Bedding, sheets & towels are provided
- You will be responsible for washing your own clothes
- Meals will be provided from Dolma Ling Nunnery kitchen
- Meals are vegetarian (not vegan), as cooked for the nuns. (We are unable to cater to special dietary requirements).
- Meals, tea and a hot drinking water thermos will be supplied to retreat hut residents at specified times.
- Kindly separate your waste and leave it out for the nuns who deliver the food as they will dispose of it.
- Do not put out food which will encourage dogs or monkeys into the retreat center.
- Single occupancy only, no visitors are allowed within the retreat center.
- If you require spiritual advice regarding your retreat kindly organize this before you start your closed retreat.
- Mobile phones are restricted to emergency use only.
- Remain within the facility and do not wander around or cause disturbance to others.
- Please do not bring unnecessary or valuable items with you into the retreat. We cannot be responsible for any loss.
- Smoking, alcohol and narcotics are strictly prohibited.
Tibetan Nuns Project
Dolma Ling Nunnery
Sidhpur, Distt. Kangra 176057
Himachal Pradesh, India