In the coming years we plan to construct a multi-purpose learning center in India to enable both nuns and lay women to study at Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute near Dharamsala. It is intended that the center will be become self-supporting through income from students and organizations holding seminars and workshops at the facility.
Once created, the Yangchen Lophel Study Center will provide accommodation and study facilities to efficiently fulfill 3 essential functions in one structure.
The Yangchen Lophel Study Center will:
- Provide a place for the nuns from Dolma Ling and other nunneries in India who are preparing for and sitting their Geshema exams for two months each year; and
- Provide sufficient accommodation for up to 350 nuns coming from other nunneries to take part in the annual inter-nunnery debating session, called the Jang Gonchoe, to be held each year at Dolma Ling. Since the number of nuns participating in the Jang Gonchoe has been increasing each year, the annual debate session can no longer easily be hosted at different nunneries as has been done in the past.
- Open the Dolma Ling Nunnery study program to lay women, both Tibetan and those from abroad.
The Yangchen Lophel Study Center will be built in an ecologically sensitive manner on a vacant piece of land adjacent to the Dolma Ling Nunnery’s debate courtyard. At a planned total area of 20,000 square feet, it is expected to provide:
- 30 single student rooms;
- Library and classrooms for lay students;
- Dormitory and study facilities for 50 nuns for 2 months each spring who will be preparing for and sitting their Geshema exams;
- Accommodation for up to 350 nuns coming from outside nunneries to join the annual debating session to be held each year at Dolma Ling; and
- Flexible kitchen and dining facilities as well as bathrooms to provide for larger or smaller numbers of residents at any one time.
To help us build the Yangchen Lophel Study Center you can:
- Make a gift online – see below.
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to:
The Tibetan Nuns Project
815 Seattle Boulevard South #216
Seattle, WA 98134 USA
(Please include a note about how you wish your gift to be used.)