Welcome to the Tibetan Nuns Project!
The Tibetan Nuns Project was founded in 1987 to provide education and humanitarian aid to refugee nuns from Tibet and to nuns from the Himalayan regions of India. Your support helps to educate, empower, and improve the status of ordained Tibetan women.
Here’s a 2-minute video about the Tibetan Nuns Project showing you the impact of your gifts.
To help you can:
- Make a gift online – see below.
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to: The Tibetan Nuns Project, 815 Seattle Boulevard South #216, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
- Donate securities.
- Leave a legacy gift to the Tibetan Nuns Project.
Over 30 Years of Accomplishments
Thanks to our global family of supporters, here are some of our accomplishments:
- Creating a ground-breaking educational program for nuns;
- Feeding, clothing, housing, and educating over 700 Tibetans nuns thanks to our sponsors;
- Building and establishing of Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute, a non-sectarian nunnery;
- Constructing and re-establishing Shugsep Nunnery in India;
- Establishing the annual inter-nunnery debate, the Jang Gonchoe;
- Laying the groundwork for higher degrees for nuns; and
- Awarding of the Geshema degree for the first time in the history of Tibet.
The Work of the Tibetan Nuns Project
The Tibetan Nuns Project is dedicated to:
- Improving standards of food, sanitation, medical care, and education in Tibetan nunneries
- Working towards future self-sufficiency through educational and training opportunities
- Training nuns to take leadership and service roles within their communities
- Improving the level and status of ordained Buddhist women
- Assisting recently arrived refugee nuns from Tibet
- Continuing to establish further facilities for Buddhist nuns
Your donation to the Tibetan Nuns Project
By supporting our work, you are giving the nuns the opportunity to practice their religion in a safe and empowering environment, at a time when the Tibetan culture and religion is severely under threat. You are opening doors for these dedicated women through education so that they can, for the first time in the history of Tibet, stand alongside men as equals and as teachers and leaders.
“A donation to this cause benefits beyond helping just the nuns… it benefits the Tibetan culture, it benefits refugees from Tibet, it benefits education for women, it benefits the Buddhist religion and community and all of this spreads like a ripple of compassion for others beyond that community. This is not charity; it is an investment in humanity.” Elen B., donor
Sponsor a nun today!
For less than $1 a day you can support a Tibetan Buddhist nun in India. Our sponsorship program is the heart of our work and currently supports over 700 Tibetan nuns living at 7 nunneries in northern India. Learn how you can sponsor a nun.
Timeline of the Tibetan Nuns Project
Here’s a timeline showing some of the important milestones since the Tibetan Nuns Project was founded in 1987.