Welcome to the Tibetan Nuns Project!
“A donation to this cause benefits beyond helping just the nuns… it benefits the Tibetan culture, it benefits refugees from Tibet, it benefits education for women, it benefits the Buddhist religion and community and all of this spreads like a ripple of compassion for others beyond that community. This is not charity; it is an investment in humanity.” Elen B., donor
By supporting the Tibetan Nuns Project, you are giving hundreds of Tibetan Buddhist nuns in India the opportunity to practice their religion in a safe and empowering environment, at a time when the Tibetan culture and religion is severely under threat. You are opening doors for these dedicated women through education so that they can, for the first time in the history of Tibet, stand alongside men as equals and as teachers and leaders.
The mission of the Tibetan Nuns Project
The Tibetan Nuns Project was founded over 30 years ago in 1987. Our mission is to:
- Educate and empower nuns of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition as teachers and leaders;
- Establish, strengthen, and support educational institutions to preserve the Tibetan religion and culture.
We currently support 7 nunneries and over 700 nuns in India.
Here’s a 2-minute video about the Tibetan Nuns Project showing you the impact of your gifts.
To help you can:
- Make a gift online – see below.
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to: The Tibetan Nuns Project, 815 Seattle Boulevard South #216, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
- Donate securities.
- Leave a legacy gift to the Tibetan Nuns Project.
Over 30 Years of Accomplishments
Thanks to our global family of supporters, the Tibetan Nuns Project has:
- Created a ground-breaking educational program for nuns;
- Built and established of Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute, a non-sectarian nunnery;
- Constructed and re-established Shugsep Nunnery in India;
- Established the annual inter-nunnery debate, the Jang Gonchoe;
- Laid the groundwork for higher degrees for nuns; and
- Helped award the Geshema degree for the first time in the history of Tibet.
Thanks to our sponsors, the Tibetan Nuns Project provides over 700 Tibetan Buddhist nuns in India with food, education, clothing, shelter, and health care.
Sponsor a nun today!
For less than $1 a day you can support a Tibetan Buddhist nun in India. Our sponsorship program is the heart of our work and currently supports over 700 Tibetan nuns living at 7 nunneries in northern India. Learn how you can sponsor a nun.
Timeline of the Tibetan Nuns Project
Here’s a timeline showing some of the important milestones since the Tibetan Nuns Project was founded in 1987.