Welcome to the Tibetan Nuns Project!
The Tibetan Nuns Project provides education and humanitarian aid to refugee nuns from Tibet and to nuns from the Himalayan regions of India. Your support provides facilities and programs to educate, empower, and improve the status of ordained Tibetan women.
Geshema Graduation Ceremony
We will be livestreaming the historic Geshema graduation ceremony here on the Tibetan Nuns Project homepage. Check back soon for the video.
About the Tibetan Nuns Project
Your gift will directly impact the nuns’ lives, the majority of whom have endured great suffering to get to this hopeful situation. By supporting our work, you are giving the nuns the opportunity to practice their religion in a safe and empowering environment, at a time when the Tibetan culture and religion is severely under threat. You are opening doors for these dedicated women through education so that they can, for the first time in the history of Tibet, stand alongside men as equals and as teachers and leaders.
Our Work to Help the Nuns
Through our sponsorship program, funded by sponsors from around the world, we currently support over 700 Tibetan nuns living at 7 nunneries in northern India.
The Tibetan Nuns Project is dedicated to:
- Improving standards of food, sanitation, medical care, and education in Tibetan nunneries
- Working towards future self-sufficiency through educational and training opportunities
- Training nuns to take leadership and service roles within their communities
- Improving the level and status of ordained Buddhist women
- Assisting recently arrived refugee nuns from Tibet
- Continuing to establish further facilities for Buddhist nuns
And here’s a 2-minute video about the Tibetan Nuns Project showing how your support helps the nuns.
Here’s a timeline showing some of the important milestones since the Tibetan Nuns Project was founded in 1987.