Welcome to the Tibetan Nuns Project!
The mission of the Tibetan Nuns Project is to:
- Educate and empower nuns of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition as teachers and leaders;
- Establish, strengthen, and support educational institutions to preserve the Tibetan religion and culture.
The Tibetan Nuns Project was founded over 30 years ago in 1987. We currently support 7 nunneries and over 700 nuns in India.
Here’s a 2-minute video about the Tibetan Nuns Project showing you the impact of your gifts.
To help you can:
- Make a gift online – see below.
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to: The Tibetan Nuns Project, 815 Seattle Boulevard South #216, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
- Donate securities.
- Leave a legacy gift to the Tibetan Nuns Project.
Over 30 Years of Accomplishments
Thanks to our global family of supporters, here are some of our accomplishments:
- Creating a ground-breaking educational program for nuns;
- Feeding, clothing, housing, and educating over 700 Tibetans nuns thanks to our sponsors;
- Building and establishing of Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute, a non-sectarian nunnery;
- Constructing and re-establishing Shugsep Nunnery in India;
- Establishing the annual inter-nunnery debate, the Jang Gonchoe;
- Laying the groundwork for higher degrees for nuns; and
- Awarding of the Geshema degree for the first time in the history of Tibet.
Your donation to the Tibetan Nuns Project
By supporting our work, you are giving the nuns the opportunity to practice their religion in a safe and empowering environment, at a time when the Tibetan culture and religion is severely under threat. You are opening doors for these dedicated women through education so that they can, for the first time in the history of Tibet, stand alongside men as equals and as teachers and leaders.
“A donation to this cause benefits beyond helping just the nuns… it benefits the Tibetan culture, it benefits refugees from Tibet, it benefits education for women, it benefits the Buddhist religion and community and all of this spreads like a ripple of compassion for others beyond that community. This is not charity; it is an investment in humanity.” Elen B., donor
Sponsor a nun today!
For less than $1 a day you can support a Tibetan Buddhist nun in India. Our sponsorship program is the heart of our work and currently supports over 700 Tibetan nuns living at 7 nunneries in northern India. Learn how you can sponsor a nun.
Timeline of the Tibetan Nuns Project
Here’s a timeline showing some of the important milestones since the Tibetan Nuns Project was founded in 1987.