Thanks to generous donors, the 247 nuns at Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute will soon be much more comfortable.
It has been far too hot for the nuns to sleep, study, cook, and heal.
In the summer of 2021, the Tibetan Nuns Project appealed for support to help the nuns purchase fans for the nunnery. You responded magnificently and within three weeks the project was fully funded.
Now the nuns can buy and install 74 fans at a total cost of $3,025.
Too Hot for the Nuns
When Dolma Ling Nunnery was first designed and construction started in 1993, the state of the world’s weather was very different than it is now. At that time, the summer temperatures rarely exceeded 91ºF (33ºC) and there was always a cool breeze off the mountains. There were glaciers on the mountains year round and, even in the height of summer, it was easy to find a cool spot in the garden to study. By mid-August the first snow on the mountains would arrive and the nuns would be getting out their warmer bedding.
Now the summer temperatures at the nunnery regularly reach 97ºF or 36ºC. Without fans, it is impossible to sit in the top floor rooms of all the dormitory wings during the day. Even at night, when there is little breeze, had become very hard for the nuns to sleep. The discomfort of the nuns has increased during the pandemic because the lockdowns have forced the nuns to spend more time in their rooms.
Thanks to your generosity, the nuns can buy and install 74 fans as follows:
- Wall-mounted swing fans for each of the 64 upper floor rooms in the six housing wings. Because they are under the roof, these top floor rooms get hotter than the ground floor rooms.
- Wall fans for the two small clinic rooms that are used by sick nuns or by nuns isolating after being outside the nunnery or having come into contact with COVID.
- Four ceiling fans for the kitchen. These are urgently needed because it is very uncomfortable to work in the kitchen in the heat.
- 4 ceiling fans for the clinic for the wards, patient rooms, and reception area.
The nuns are purchasing the fans from local suppliers. The good quality fans will be quiet, efficient, and durable. The fans will be installed by their regular electrician who they can rely on to do a neat and careful job.
Learn about our other Current Needs.
- Make a gift online at tnp.org
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to The Tibetan Nuns Project
815 Seattle Boulevard South #216, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
- Give a gift of securities
- Leave a gift in your will to the Tibetan Nuns Project