Thanks to generous donors, this project and the other critical repairs at Shugsep Nunnery and Institute have been fully funded! We will report back with news, photos, and videos as soon as possible.
On July 17th, we received an urgent email from our office in India about two disasters that have occurred at Shugsep Nunnery and Institute.
The nuns are all safe. However, the monsoon rains have caused massive flooding around the nunnery. To make matters worse, a gigantic tree at the temple entrance was uprooted and has crushed the newly painted metal roof.
The nunnery is now scrambling to put in emergency storm drainage to prevent catastrophic flooding of the library and the ground floor hall.
It will be a huge job to cut and remove the fallen tree and to remake the roof support structure and the metal roof.
Here’s a video showing the monsoon rains and flooding at the nunnery.
The 85 nuns work hard to maintain their nunnery. But these two emergencies and other urgent repair projects are beyond their ability.
The nuns need your help with:
- Emergency storm drainage
- Urgent roof repairs and tree removal
- Mold removal and prevention
- Solar panel roof repair
- Water tank repair
- Painting of the nuns’ dormitories
- A security system for the nunnery and grounds to avoid break-ins
Help Shugsep Nunnery and Institute!
To help you can:
- Make a gift online at tnp.org
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901
- Mail a check to The Tibetan Nuns Project
815 Seattle Boulevard South #216, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
- Give a gift of securities
- Leave a gift in your will to the Tibetan Nuns Project