I hope this letter brings you comfort during this time of division and darkness.
Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, the Tibetan nuns in India have been praying for all those suffering, mentally and physically, in these difficult times and for those who have died.
The nuns care deeply about the well-being of the Tibetan Nuns Project global family and they are praying for the welfare of kind people like you who support them.
The nuns are doing their best to continue their studies during the pandemic.
Although they were forced to cancel many educational opportunities this year because of COVID-19, including the Geshema exams, the annual inter-nunnery debate, and the Tantric Studies program, the nuns’ determination to increase their wisdom has not wavered.
They are practicing in greater solitude, continuously working to improve their wisdom. In choosing to take monastic vows, they pledged to live their lives in a pure, simple, ethical manner. Your support will help them on their path.
The world needs the nuns’ wisdom and compassion now more than ever.
We know that many of our supporters are facing economic hardship and uncertainty. If it works for you, please donate in any way that is comfortable for you.
For over three decades, since the Tibetan Nuns Project began, the nuns have practiced and studied with determination and dedication and have made great strides in becoming scholars, leaders, and teachers.
The empowerment of Tibetan women and the preservation of Tibetan Buddhism needs to continue.
Tibetan Buddhist nuns are holders of a profound wisdom and mind-training tradition dating back 2,600 years to the Buddha. Sadly, this wisdom tradition, so desperately needed now, is increasingly under threat inside Tibet.
Repression in Tibet is again on the increase. The Chinese government seeks to control Tibetan Buddhism and culture. Recent reports warn that Chinese authorities are using repressive measures like forced labor and constant surveillance, much like those that have been widely reported on in Xinjiang to crush the Uighurs.
When you help Tibetan Buddhist nunneries in India to be vibrant centers of knowledge, you also help to preserve Tibet’s rich religion and culture.
You can help the nuns
- Make a donation. Your gift will pay for essentials such as food and education. If you wish, you can choose one of our Current Needs.
- Sponsor a nun. Many nuns still need sponsors. $1 a day supports a nun with food, clothing, shelter, education, and health care. We will pair you with a nun.
- Become a monthly donor at any amount you choose.
- Shop in our online store. When you buy products such as our 2021 calendar, malas, and prayer flags you help to build self-sufficiency for the nuns.
- Leave a legacy of compassion Leave a gift in your will to the Tibetan Nuns Project and help educate and empower Tibetan Buddhist nuns.
Thank you for your generosity and kindness!