Dolma Ling Nunnery and Institute, officially inaugurated in December 2005, has increased in size and is now home to about 250 nuns. The nunnery was built by the Tibetan Nuns Project and is unique for its size and scope of education.
Dolma Ling Nunnery functions as a non-sectarian monastic university and provides the opportunity for nuns to study for higher degrees, including the Geshema degree, equivalent to a PhD in Tibetan Buddhism.
While much of the maintenance and chores to keep the building sound and the nunnery running smoothly are done by the nuns themselves, like any large residential institution, there are some projects that need outside support.
Each year we receive various projects focused on sustaining Dolma Ling. In 2016, we have 7 projects that the nuns requested help with in order to keep Dolma Ling running smoothly:
- retreat hut improvements
- repainting the main prayer hall, a nuns’ housing wing, and one of the staff quarters
- furnishing the kitchen that was expanded last year – PROJECT IS NOW FULLY FUNDED. THANK YOU!
- creating a butter sculpture workshop – PROJECT IS NOW FULLY FUNDED. THANK YOU!
- purchasing additional tables and stools for nuns’ rooms. PROJECT IS NOW FULLY FUNDED. THANK YOU!
- expanding the cow shed PROJECT IS NOW FULLY FUNDED. THANK YOU!
- purchasing water filters and creating a boiled-water center PROJECT IS NOW FULLY FUNDED. THANK YOU!
A full description of each project is available on our Current Projects section of this website or by clicking the hyperlinks in the list above.
To help us with these projects you can:
- Make a gift online – see below.
- Call our office in Seattle, US at 1-206-652-8901 (Monday-Friday, 8-4)
- Mail a check to:
The Tibetan Nuns Project
815 Seattle Boulevard South #216
Seattle, WA 98134 USA
(Please include a note about how you wish your gift to be used.)